Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Year Ago...

I found out that I was knocked up. Again. It's so funny because We had come off of a horribly rough month filled with sleepless nights, diarrhea, hacking up lungs and injuries. And I remember being so God-awful tired at the end of the month. I would fall deep asleep by 7:30 on the couch (Haha, this is when The Barracuda's bedtime was 7 PM. Hahaha!) and haul my exhausted ass upstairs only to plant face down on my bed so tired that I couldn't even be bothered to wash my face or brush my teeth. I know, gross, right? Don't judge. I think I actually accused The Bear of putting roofies in my nighttime cocktails.

I remember working a horribly long weekend of night shifts and I was so exhausted come Monday morning that I begged The Bear (who was on vacation that week) to watch The Barracuda so I could nap. I mean, I didn't really have to beg--he's pretty awesome about helping me get rest. Probably because he knows how horrible I am without sleep and he just doesn't want to deal with me in that state. Anywhoodle, I remember napping and then waking up and thinking, "Shoot. Wasn't I supposed to get my period?" I had just started to become semi regular again. The Barracuda was fully weaned. I had a box of tests in the bathroom closet because I had decided to not go back on hormonal birth control. I peed on a stick, and voila! The digital test told me that I was pregnant. I didn't believe it and I proceeded to pee on about a million other sticks--all telling me that I was pregnant. And then it was all clicking in to place; the extreme exhaustion (attributed to a toddler and night shift), aversion to alcohol (not that strange), hyper emotional (kind of my baseline) and it all suddenly made sense: Fetus on board.

This is such a fond memory for me. A memory that I often play over and over again in my head in the middle of the night or when I hold my baby boy first thing in the morning. I think the best part of that memory is the shock and surprise. We wanted The Barracuda so much and we were waiting for her anxiously. Tooter came here all on his own. I think one of my co-workers explained it the best (she, too, had a love child); "While not at all unloved, he was completely unplanned." Happy memories, Tooter. And thanks for sleeping through most of the night ;)

1 comment:

  1. Aw, love this one! Allison-you are so funny. You crack me up! What a whirlwind, huh?!

    ReplyDelete