Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Getting Knocked Up

There are a variety of different ways to figure out when you might be fertile. If you're pretty regular you can figure out when you ovulate by counting back 14 days from the beginning of your period. You can use Basal Body Temperature charting, check your cervical mucus, or ovulation predictor kits. Or I love this one, you can "listen to your body." I'm trying to listen to my body, but it's sending me mixed signals.

BBT consists of using a special thermometer and taking your temperature at the same time each morning (before you even move) and you chart it. Based on what your chart looks like (and combined with other methods of charting) you can figure out when you're ovulating. I tried this for one month. A typical BBT chart looks like this:




My chart looked nothing like that. My temperatures were very erratic and I could make no sense of them what so ever. At that time I chalked it up to my rotating schedule and that I wasn't really sleeping longer than 3 hours at a crack.

Ovulation predictor kits are supposed to be easier to use. Just pee on a stick at the same time each day (or even a couple each day) in order to figure out when your LH surge occurs. Throughout your cycle estrogen and LH gradually increase causing an egg to ripen and mature. Right before ovulation, a LH surge can be detected. The thing that is tricky is that even if a LH surge is detected, it does not guarantee that an egg was actually released.

I am not even going to discuss CM (I can't even type it out fully!) because a variety of males (ones I'm related to!) read this blog and I want to be able to look them in the eyes in the future. Tell you what, if you're really interested, go Google it yourself.

Last, some women say that they feel really crampy and bloated when they're ovulating. Lovingly dubbed "mittelschmerz" (middle pain) by our German friends. Hmmm, this is how I feel on almost every given day due to the fact that I'm usually stuffing my face with cheesy, processed foods.

That's just on the female's end. If you're a dude, you've got to have working swimmers. You only need one, though. One working one that is able to find one, tiny little egg in an organ the size of a pear. Then it has to be able to successfully fertilize that egg.

So there you have it folks, how to make a baby. You know, with all of the technicalities and little ways this process can get screwed up, it's a wonder this world is overpopulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment