Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ultrasounds and Needles and Hot Flashes--OH MY!

So, a lot of shit has gone down. I haven't been the best about posting for a variety of reasons: Sleep, work, uncertainty, sleep, work, spazing out. You get the general idea. I finally feel like I have a small grip on my feelings, so I'm gonna put it all out there.

Let's start with last week. I got my period. On my own. Holy Balls. I felt like I was 13 all over again. Anyways, I call Dr. C's office, flabbergasted, and talk with a nurse about scheduling a baseline ultrasound. Said ultrasound took place this past Monday. Everything looks fab. Then I was given my script for Clomid 100 mg to be taken CD4-CD8. I had a long discussion with Dr. C and a nurse about how I was going to be monitored and how to ensure ovulation, blah, blah, blah. The plan is to go again next week for an ultrasound and see if I have any good sized follicles and if my uterine lining is thick enough. If everything looks glorious, I'll go ahead and take a trigger injection to get me to ovulate. About two weeks after my injection, I can test to see if I'm knocked up. If my u/s next week looks sucky, we'll cancel and regroup.

I have gotten Clomid in the past from my trusty, local Walgreens so that's where I was going to head for this next cycle. The trigger injection (HCG) isn't carried at many pharmacies and Dr. C's office doesn't trust a lot of places, so they exclusively use this pharmacy in Chicago--which promises free next-day delivery. The best part is that we actually have some insurance coverage for these drugs! My Clomid was under $6 and the trigger was only $28. Not too shabby. ESPECIALLY when I put it on the credit card to receive points. Why not?

Later on that Monday I ended up having my first acupuncture appointment. Talk about a big day for my ovaries. The initial appointment was great, a lot of talking about my health history, what I've tried, what I haven't. She then explained different concepts of Chinese Medicine and how what she's trying to do is support and aid what my RE is doing.

The acupuncture itself was awesome and weird. I felt like she stuck a bizzillion needles in my body but when I finally got the guts to look down, I only had, like, ten needles in! It may sound totally lame, but I felt a lot of energy and tingling and warmth where the needles were put in. I was so excited when I left! I will go again next week Monday.

While Monday was a great, red-letter day...the rest of this week has been ho-hum. I'm really feeling the Clomid. I am so distracted and my brain feels thick. Almost like I'm underwater. I haven't had too many crazy hot flashes, but I'm defintely warm. I'm sweatin' it up, that's for sure. On top of that, I feel very anxious and (for lack of a better term) jacked up. Kinda like that time I was on some heavy steriods for a raging case of strep throat. As a result, I ended up calling in sick for my last night of work this week--don't judge me. I felt that I was unsafe to be caring for sick people. I could barely get my act together the night before, Lord knows what I would have been like last night.

So that is this week in a nutshell: Some highs, some lows, and a whole lotta hope :)

2 comments:

  1. no judgement here! i once had an inhaler for steroids. it was weird and smelled/tasted funny, if possible. chris said it gave me roid rage but i don't know if that's legit, via an inhaler. he also imitates me from that time with a very deep voice. huh.

    can't wait for the next update! lots of love!

    ReplyDelete